This is an advanced strengthening exercise for the chest and rotator cuff muscles of the shoulder.
- Lie flat on a bench with your feet placed firmly on the floor and your abs drawn in.
- Grasp the dumbbell in one hand and bring it up to the side of your chest, this is starting position.
- Extend your arm, pressing the dumbbell up till your arm is straight and your elbow locked.
- Using slow controlled movements, lower the weight to starting position.
- Switch arms after completing reps with one arm.
Ensure your hips and back remain in contact with the bench at all times during this exercise.
Start with a lighter weight in order to perfect the exercise technique and then when progressing onto a heavier weight you should be spotted to ensure safety and injury prevention.
- Type: isolation
- Primary: chest
- Secondary: shoulders, triceps
- Equipment: dumbbell, flat bench